After a long absence...

It would seem, at least for me, that going back to paid employment and being productive in the sewing department is a tricky balance. I am still trying to find a way to stay on top of all the 'required' things, and still keep my sanity by sewing or knitting once in a while. Hence the lack of blog posts, and overall lack of activity in my sewing room.

Yes, there have been a few projects here and there (a tree skirt for the Christmas tree, some dumpling pouches for gifts, and couple of gift bags), but unfortunately the bigger projects didn't get photographed before they were given away. There was a quillow for my son's friend who moved away from Singapore - nine of his friends each drew a personalised square using fabric markers on a square of cotton fabric, all of which were then incorporated into the quillow. It turned out really well, and was a nice goodbye gift for a dear friend. I have it on good authority that he is making good use of it this winter, but sadly I didn't get any pictures of the finished product.

However, a new year brings with it a resolution to try to sew as much as I can to take a break from work and housework (occasionally this does mean forgoing sleep!). So, with that in mind, I spent the better part of an afternoon recently cutting out 2 pairs of pajamas (1 for each of my children), a top for my daughter and a skirt for her as well. The sewing...well, let's just say that last week, I spent more time with my seam ripper in my hand than my foot on the sewing machine pedal. But I'm happy to report that all's well that (mostly) ends well, and I just have the skirt to finish.

First up, the Puppet Show shorts from Oliver + S and a top from the Japanese sewing book Sew Chic Kids. The shorts are a favourite in our house, and this is the 4th or 5th pair my daughter has worn. I used a great Robert Kaufman Indikon Indigo for the shorts, and a Japanese lawn for the top. The instructions for the top were minimal (par for the course with this book), and I admit being quite confused about how to do their front placket. I muddled my way through, and know it's not quite right, but my daughter LOVES the shirt (flowers! long sleeves!), so in my books, it's a win.



The shirt is supposed to have buttons but for some reason, my machine decided that making buttonholes in cotton lawn was not going to happen that day. So it has snaps, which oddly also made my daughter very happy.

So that's project 1 of 4. Next up...two pairs of pajamas, one with homemade piping! Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular Posts