One of my many trips to a favourite fabric store while my mother was visiting, we found some lovely seersucker with a small boat print. My son had only specified that he wanted blue pajamas, so I hoped this would suit his tastes. I got some of the same print on a white background for the facings and cuffs. Luckily he was quite pleased, especially when he realised he could ask for buttons in both blue and red!
Despite having sewn this pattern on at least 3 previous occasions, I still managed to make what some might call 'rookie' mistakes. I chalk this up to cutting the pieces out on a day when I cut out 4 other patterns. It's probably also because I wasn't paying enough attention (sigh). There was a recent post on the Oliver + S blog about these very pajamas (read it here), with some beautiful pictures of perfect pattern matching for the patch pockets. The ones I made recently were, *ahem*, perfectly unmatched. You'll notice that the front facing was also upside down (oops). And I somehow managed to cut 2 of the same leg, which meant I had to make an unexpected trip to the fabric store to get more fabric to cut out another leg. And believe me, I quadruple-checked that I was cutting it out the right way!!
My son was very sweet about the upside down parts. He told me that it looked like the reflection in the water, which was great because there were boats on the pajamas! Thank goodness for children who see the positive side to our mistakes.
But I am particularly proud of my homemade piping, which I think is a nice addition. This was also a special request from my son (who initially wanted rickrack like his sister's pajamas have, but I managed to talk him into piping instead!). My son is tall and slim, so I made the pajamas in a size 6, but with the length of size 7. They are a tad on the long side, but hopefully this means more wear!
Not to be left out, my daughter wanted new pajamas from a knit fabric she saw with an owl print. I used the Oliver+S Raglan t-shirt for the top and the Sleepover Pajama pattern for the bottom (not sure that was the best plan, but it seemed to work). I'm still learning how to hem knit fabrics properly, and am not thrilled with how the hems turned out on these pieces, but luckily they're not visible on the outside! The raglan t-shirt pattern is GREAT! So fast to sew and by all reports, very comfortable to wear. Smiles all around!