Lander love

I have jumped wholeheartedly onto the 'Lander-wagon'. Yes, yes, I'm about a 100 years late to this party, but better late than never.

I knew I liked True Bias patterns, having made (at last count) 11 Ogden Camis, but was wary of making shorts/pants because of fitting issues. I hate buying RTW pants because most times, anything that goes over my hips and bottom gapes horribly at the waist. I can usually fit at least 2-3 hands in the gap. And belting it is just unattractive. I also wasn't sure about wearing high-rise shorts, but since all the kids were doing it...

Now I ask myself - what took you so long?!

I did my research - many days spent reading other people's blog posts (thank goodness for sewing blogs) about fit issues, the straight vs. curved waistband issues, and all the information on the True Bias website about the Landers. I finally bought the pattern, had it printed, made a muslin from an old bedsheet, and here we are:


The colour was hard to photograph - it's a lovely tangerine orange linen, leftover from a dress I made for myself (yet to be blogged). I just managed to squeeze out all the pieces except for the back pockets. The pocket lining is also made from another fabric. And no belt loops.

So here's what I learned:

1. Even after curving the waistband (thank you to the amazing e-book on the Closet Case Patterns website for the tips and instructions, and several other blogs for their tips - here and here), the waistband is still really big at the back. I've figured out that this is either because the linen is much looser weave than the bedsheet and the curved waistband stretched during sewing, or I didn't curve it enough. 

2. My machine makes bartacks and I feel like a sewing superstar when I add these details!

3. I actually like high-waisted shorts, despite having a really short torso - if I wear things untucked, it looks fine.

4. Definitely need belt loops on the next one, just in case things stretch out over a day of wearing.

Here are the shorts with my True Bias Ogden Cami, made last year from this gorgeous Liberty Tana Lawn (a happy surprise that it matches so well):


So here's what I'm planning on doing for the next pair:

1. Using the handy tips on the Itch To Stitch blog, I am going to redraw the curved waistband and reinforce the seam with twill tape. I'm reluctant to go down a size (I made a size 10) because the fit across my bottom is pretty good in these ones.

2. Lengthen them just a tiny bit (maybe an inch)...

3. Add belt loops.

I have some Robert Kaufman denim waiting for shorts, and provided the new modifications work well, I have some Robert Kaufman Manchester cotton for cropped pants. And THEN, if I'm really brave, I'll tackle the zip fly...



Comments

Popular Posts