Sewing for babies

I sometimes forget how much fun it is to sew for babies, and the Oliver + S Lullaby Layette makes a great baby gift. A friend is having a boy soon, and this was the perfect chance to pull the layette pattern out again.


The jacket is made from knit fabric, lined with knit fabric that has small holes (I'm sure this fabric has an official name, but I have no clue what it is!). The pants are made from a double gauze that looks like denim and is really, really soft. 




The bodysuit is also made from a knit fabric, but as recommended in the pattern, I used some leftover chambray to make the button plackets.

And to finish off the gift, I made a changing mat with PUL fabric on one side, and some gingham-type fabric I found in my stash, finished with some quilt binding remnants I also found in my stash.


I was frantically sewing the binding on the change mat about 20 minutes before I had to leave for the baby shower, but it all came together nicely in this little package. 


All the fabric for the clothes was from a recent shopping spree at Sing Mui Heng. I have enough leftover of the jacket fabric to make another one, and probably enough of the bodysuit fabric to squeeze out a short-sleeved shirt. Making small things can be so satisfying!

Comments

Popular Posts