It's an Amy!!

I've been admiring Closet Case Patterns for a LONG time now.  Until recently, the admiration consisted of spending hours looking at all their patterns, wondering if I should get any, putting it off, and repeating the cycle a few months later.

Then a good friend and I were talking jumpsuits - how they're the thing for the summer of 2019, how we weren't sure if we could pull them off given our height restrictions (i.e. all the jumpsuits seem to be worn by very tall people - we are 5'4"). Enter the Amy Jumpsuit...

J and I spent a LONG time checking out other Amy makes on Instagram, and finally decided that, yes indeed, we should get on this wagon.

I ordered the Amy pattern (it's a PDF - instant gratification), and for good measure, threw in the Charlie Caftan and the Carolyn Pajamas for good measure (paper patterns this time...such a splurge!). Then J and I went shopping and she found a fabulous cotton lawn, and I was off...my first Amy experiment for J!





To keep it 'work-appropriate', I took some length out of the bodice, which also raised the darts slightly. I skipped the muslin step, hoping that measuring J and using a RTW jumpsuit she had as a guide would help me with getting the measurements right! Following the very thorough instructions, I also skipped inserting the invisible zipper since J doesn't span more than one size. And all this 'winging it' worked!!

I think it looks great on J. It's lined with a cotton lawn I had at home. When we bought the fabric, I thought the lines were random, but in fact the print is directional, so I was doing some seriously stingy cutting to get all the necessary pieces out of the 3 1/2 yards we'd bought.

This was such a great success that I have 2 more requests for Amy Jumpsuits, plus I'm inspired to make myself a jumpsuit too...

And I'm very happy I finally stopped thinking about buying a Closet Case pattern and actually bought some!



Comments

Popular Posts