Indie patterns, controversies and losing myself in the blogosphere...

It was late. I was tired of sewing Halloween costumes (eagle wings, eagle mask, turtle shell). So I thought I'd do a bit of reading. An hour and a half later (and well past midnight)...

It started with this entry on the Colette blog about their new Rue pattern. I don't own the pattern, nor do I intend to buy it - not my style, really, and not a dress I can see myself wearing. And given my ongoing issues with Colette and Seamwork patterns and how they fit (briefly discussed here), I wasn't too keen anyway. So reading the blog post and, of course, ALL the comments that followed, led me to this wonderful post from Carolyn at Allspice Abounds. Wow...clearly I haven't been following along on the development of this controversy, or reading the right blogs. But all this reading was enlightening.

So what did I learn? First, I am not alone in my frustrations with how Colette patterns fit me. I keep thinking that I need to learn how to do more pattern alterations, and it'll be okay. Well yes, it would be a good skill to have, but maybe I also need to find another pattern company that suits me better and is drafted differently.

Second, this belief that an independent pattern company must be better in their pattern and design quality, simply because they are independent and not churning out large numbers of patterns is misguided. As many an astute blogger and sewist pointed out, they are, after all, businesses who are looking to make money, and not necessarily error-free because they are independent.

Third, that as much as I feel sometimes like I'm sewing/knitting/making in a void, there are LOTS of like-minded, sympathetic people out there who have similar frustrations and issues. I'd love to have an 'in-person' sewing/crafting group where I live, but until I find something to join, it's nice to know that there are virtual groups with whom I can share ideas.

So what now? I have a few Seamwork patterns printed that, simply because I spent the time and money printing them, I feel obligated to try. But moving forward, I think I really need to focus on some other pattern companies that seem to have a huge following. I recently purchased the Grainline Alder Shirtdress pattern, and don't think I've read one negative review of the pattern. I've also bought the Thread Theory Fairfield Shirt pattern for my husband, and am excited to stretch my sewing skills to a fitted man's shirt. And let's not forget, I use Oliver + S patterns almost exclusively for my children and cannot recommend them highly enough. I've also made a skirt and dress for myself from the Liesl + Co pattern collection, and love both of them.

Amazing how an hour of late night reading can lead to a day's worth of such deep thinking...

Comments

Popular Posts