Non-wearable sewing!

I frequently alternate between sewing clothes (for my children, for myself, for other children!) to sewing non-wearables. Maybe I have a short attention span, though, because I seem to need to change things up quite often.

I'd promised a young friend (well, his mother actually) a waterproof iPad case for his birthday...in July (*ahem). And yes, it JUST got delivered this past weekend. Well, better late than never, as they say.


Front

Back (with pocket)

Waterproof lining

This project took far longer than it should have for so many reasons that all seem a bit silly now. It was my first time inserting magnetic closures, and even after watching a tutorial online, I managed to make a mistake, resulting in the patchwork triangles on the front (I like to call them a design feature!). I used a double layer of quilt batting on the main (long piece), but after all the layers were assembled together, I realised I needed a bigger needle, so had to put the project on hold while I found time to get denim needles. I then tried to machine finish the binding, but it just wasn't cooperating, so finally had to hand-sew the binding around the edges. Phew...

The good news is that my young friend loves it, his iPad fits, the lining is fully waterproof (I used PUL that they sell for diaper covers), and the pocket on the back is perfect for his stylus, a notebook and a pen. So all in all, worth the effort and the extended sewing time it took for me to work out the kinks!


Comments

Popular Posts