Bags, bags, bags

Ever since I can remember, I've loved bags. There was always a reason to have just one more, for a very specific purpose. You couldn't possibly use the 'folk festival' bag for a weekend trip, for example, and the weekend trip bag wouldn't possibly work for the 2-month jaunt around Europe. And we're not talking luggage here, but tote bags, hand bags, book bags, shopping bags...the list is endless. Needless to say, over the years I've accumulated quite a collection. Funnily enough (and luckily for my husband), I never developed an obsession with expensive leather handbags, but I have discovered the joys of sewing my own bags.

A few years ago, a close friend in Edmonton introduced me to the Amy Butler diaper bag pattern and I was hooked. As luck would have it, when I returned to London, I found more Amy Butler bag patterns on sale, which I of course had to buy. I've since made myself the Reversible Sunday Sling as a swimming bag, lined with water-resistant fabric. I've also made it as a diaper bag for a friend, and as a knitting/sewing bag for my mum. 

Both those bags have lots of nice details and pockets, but my current favourite is the Swing Bag, which seems to be discontinued as I can't find it on their website. I've made it three times with slight variations each time. The first I made with Amy Butler prints, but those are hard to find in Singapore. 

This one was made with a lovely Japanese cotton canvas (found in Chinatown at Malin Textiles), thick enough that I didn't have to line it with canvas as suggested in the pattern:



The black and white one was a gift for a friend, and she suggested a pocket for a phone would be a good addition, as well as some way to close the bag. so I made this one:



I added a button closure tab and cell phone pocket. In theory this bag is reversible, but the pocket would end up on the outside, so I suspect whoever ends up with the bag won't be reversing it very often! I didn't intend on keeping this bag for myself, but I might just give in to temptation...

Comments

Popular Posts