Boxy Pouch...Take 2

After the mathematical miscalculation that resulted in the first boxy pouch being rather small (although perfect for small toiletries or golf tees!) for the friend who requested it, I had to try again. I'm sure there is some sophisticated method to calculating exactly how big your rectangle of fabric has to be cut based on the desired height, width and depth of the finished pouch. I am not that way inclined, however, so I used my own method, and luckily, it's just the right size!


I used the tutorial at Make It Modern as a guide.

If you cut your fabric 5" x 7 1/2", the finished pouch measures 4 1/2" long x 2 1/4" high x 2 1/4" wide. The corners are mitred 2.5cm in from the corner, and approximately 5cm across to get the boxy look. 

For a bigger pouch (finished dimensions 6 1/4" long x 3" high x 3" wide), you'll have to cut your fabric in a rectangle measuring 10 1/2" x 7 1/4". I also discovered through some trial and error that you need to mitre your corners 4cm in from the tip to get the right boxy effect. And you'll need a longer zipper, of course. 

I used medium-weight interfacing on both, but because the small one is lined in plastic-coated fabric, I think it holds its shape a bit better.  

Off to make yet another boxy pouch - this time a small one with an outer loop for my father who wants to use it for his golf tees!

Comments

Popular Posts