Sewing, knitting and writing about it all....

My great-grandmother taught me how to knit when I was 7 years old. I still remember trying to get a consistent row of knits and purls while my great-grandmother, my grandmother, my mother and several great-aunts sat in the room, busy with their own knitting projects. I dreamed of the day when I'd move beyond the slightly wonky rectangle to an actual project that looked as intricate as everyone else's, with cables and lacy patterns. I'm proud to be a fourth-generation knitter, although I still haven't perfected the art of watching TV while knitting (and actually watching TV rather than just listening to it while keeping my eyes on my needles!).

My mother taught me to sew when I was 8 (late, in her books, since she was sewing her doll's dresses when she was 7!). After many hours of lessons in hand-sewing, embroidery, using the machine, and several mishaps with the serger (one which led me to swear off sewing for several years), I am happy to say that I not only love sewing, but spend far too much time hunting for new and exciting patterns, and am trying to learn the more technical details of modifying patterns. I also seem to have inherited my mother's inability to pass over a beautiful piece of fabric ('I'm sure I'll find something to do with that!').

Living in a tropical climate means that I am knitting far less these days, but sewing a lot more. In some ways, this isn't a bad thing...sewing a garment is a lot faster than knitting it, but it is harder to watch TV and sew!

Over the years, I've knitted, sewn, and cross-stitched more for others than for myself. I'm hoping that by writing about my adventures in 'making' that I'll have a way to document and remember all the things I give away, as well as all those I do end up making for my family or myself!

So...fun project #1: a little boxy pouch, yet to find a home.
Little boxy pouch - thanks to modernquiltlove.wordpress.com for inspiration

It was meant to be a lot larger, but thanks to my poor engineering skills (more on that later!), it's a bit tinier than expected. I'm sure someone (maybe me?!) will find a good use for it...


Comments

Popular Posts