I've made it once before as a diaper bag, and when a friend told us she was expecting her first baby in May, I immediately thought of making a diaper bag. But this time, I decided to hack the pattern a bit. First, I thought a cover flap would be handy, since the bag doesn't have any closures at the top. Second, I'm not a huge fan of the tied handles (having had mine come untied as I was carrying my bag a couple of times), so I decided to change the strap. Instead of coming from the front of the bag, I put the handle at the sides (also to accommodate the cover). And finally, after seeing a few ideas for courier bags/satchels online, I decided to put elastic across the top of one of the inner pockets, just to hold the contents in a bit more securely.
So the results? Well, I'm not completely happy with some parts of it, but I'm trying hard to be less of a perfectionist, and accept things with flaws. The flaws are only really visible to me (and probably to my mother, who's even more of a perfectionist when it comes to sewing!). My friend was thrilled with the bag, which is the most important thing.
The elasticated pocket was trickier than I thought, and my fusible fleece didn't fuse as well as it should have (apparently if it sits around for a long time, it's less 'sticky' and in this humidity, that process is probably escalated).
But, I LOVE the fabric. It's the new denim collection from Art Gallery Fabrics, and the lining is from Cloud 9. I love it so much, I had enough to make my daughter a pair of shorts...more on that later! The cover flap on the bag is definitely a good addition, and I really do prefer the one strap coming from the sides of the bag. If I make this bag again (and I do have a request from another friend who recently had a baby!), I'll do it the same way. Next time, I might even venture into putting magnetic closures on the front flap...