Simple sewing

Recently, my friend D saw the pillowcase dress I made for my daughter's friend M, and asked if I could make one for her. I hesitated slightly...I wasn't sure that a pillowcase dress would look as great on an adult (with curves) compared to a toddler. After some 'research' on Pinterest and other websites, I found a few tutorials and pictures. Thank you to Melly Sews for a straightforward tutorial on how to draft a basic pattern. D also sent me a few pictures she found, mostly from high-end children's clothing websites from France, of lovely, unusual pillowcase style dresses in linen. The end result? Not one, but TWO 'pillowcase' dresses for D!

The first was meant to be a sample/practise using a navy broadcloth I had at home, but she liked it so much I finished the seams and used home-made bias for the armholes and drawstring casing. The second was with a lovely khaki linen I bought 2 years ago to make myself pants. The pants didn't materialise, so D suggested the cloth was meant to be used for her dress!


She's very pleased with her new dresses, and they are perfect for the hot and humid weather here. And she proves that you can pull off a pillowcase dress, even if you do have curves!

Comments

Popular Posts