The LONG knit

A long time ago (so long that it's embarrassing), I started to knit my son a sweater. His specifications? Blue (dark), with a hood and a zip. I tried to convince him to go with stripes, or no hood, or a cool pattern (i.e. anything to make it more interesting for me to knit) but he knew what he wanted. Blue, hood, zip. I added 'lightweight yarn' to that list, because in Singapore, nothing heavier will EVER get worn.

After a bit of searching, I happened to find the Wien pattern in the Berroco Sox book 'Playground Stripes'. We were in Victoria, BC at the time, and I found the pattern book and some suitable yarn in the Beehive Wool Shop. I used DROPS Fabel superwash sock yarn for the body and another sock yarn for the hood lining. 


I FINALLY finished the cardigan last month. Like I said, embarrassing. And because of my procrastination, I'm really hoping my son gets at least a few months of wear out of this sweater before he outgrows it (mostly in length). Oh, and his extra request - a red zipper! It was the first time I had ever installed a zipper in a sweater, but it was surprisingly easy. I wish I could remember which blog I used for the technique, but there are a few different methods. I basically treated it like I would a zipper installation in a sewn garment, except that I sewed it in by hand after basting it first. 




Now we have to go somewhere cool so he can actually wear it!

Comments

  1. Wow Gayatri. I love the sweater, it's exactly what I would want too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now let's hope he gets a few opportunities to wear it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts