I want red pants...

My son has decided that the Oliver + S Sailboat Pants are called 'fisherman pants', and requested some red ones. Definitely red. Not maroon, not slightly red, but RED. Perhaps this is to match the red zipper of his new hoodie?

I found some decidedly red fabric at Sing Mui Heng (I can't remember if it's Robert Kaufman or Art Gallery Fabrics and the website doesn't seem to have it there anymore) and some wooden buttons. I've made these for him before in a linen-cotton blend, and didn't have to make any adjustments. This time I cut a size 6. In hindsight, I should have perhaps lengthened them to a size 7 for longer wearability (is that a word?) but they fit well right now.




I wanted to do some flat-felled seams on the sides to give them a more 'jean' appearance, but couldn't quite figure out how to do it with the vent at the bottom. The other thing I forgot from the last time was that one of the inner seams (that joins the left leg to the right) doesn't seem to get finished (at least, it's not in the instructions). Part of it is covered by the facing, but the rest stays exposed. I didn't want to risk pushing it under my serger after everything was sewn together, so I just cut them with my pinking shears. I think next time I'll finish the edges with the serger before I sew it all together.

Otherwise, they came together well, and my son was excited that his red pants were finished!

Update: These have actually been finished for a while, and worn a LOT - it just took me forever to get the blog post finished!

Comments

Popular Posts