Bags and pouches

I recently went on a mini-spree of sewing bags and pouches. More specifically, lined snack bags and toiletry bags (or Dopp kits).

The snack bags were inspired by a recent Earth Day fair we held here, and I wanted to make a non-plastic alternative for snacks. There's been a lot of press (for good reason) about how much plastic we've dumped into our oceans. I feel overwhelmed by plastic most days - the volume of single-use plastic I see on a daily basis is frightening. So to do my (small) part, I sewed up some snack bags and sandwich wraps (which I have neglected to photograph).



I lined the bags with a waterproof fabric and used velcro across the top. These measure about 4" x 6" when finished, and are just the right size for a small snack or fruit. One fat quarter will go far if you cut carefully.

Reading a sewing blog (sorry...can't remember which one!) recently, I stumbled across the wonderful book Sewing Happiness by Sanae Ishida. I know I'm late to this party (the book was published in 2016), but I quickly found a copy at the library and was captivated by Sanae's story and the lovely patterns she shares. I'm keen to try some sashiko embroidery soon (I even bought some needles)! Her book inspired me to make some toiletry bags again. I'd made a small version before (blogged here) but found some great vinyl-coated fabric at Sing Mui Heng to make slightly bigger ones. 

Little did I know that one toiletry bag would grow to 11!




So no, the picture is not of 11...but this was the first group, a gift for M, her sister, brother and mother. I made another 3 for another friend, then one each for my children and one for my husband. The ones pictured here were lined with medium-weight interfacing, but the most recent ones I lined with fusible fleece. That seems to help the toiletry bags hold their shape better, but be warned...the layers of cotton lining, fusible fleece and vinyl-coated fabric are not kind to sewing machine needles! 

After countless snack bags, sandwich wraps and toiletry bags, I think I need a break from sewing bags for a while! Of course, I've forgotten to make anything for myself...!


Comments

Popular Posts