Grainline Studio Lakeside Pajamas v.1

After a little spree of sewing for my children, I managed to fit in something for me...the Grainline Studio Lakeside Pajamas!


The lighting isn't great (too lazy to wait until the morning to take pictures!), and I can't bring myself to model pajamas for a blog post, so the 'flat on the bed' look will have to do for now.

This is a practice run for the actual pajamas I want to make. When in London for the holidays, an uncontrollable force drew me into Liberty, and that same force made it impossible for me to pass up the chance to buy some HALF PRICE Liberty tana lawn! They were 1m pieces (presumably from a past season?), and it was hard to stop at just 3 pieces. I wandered around the store wondering what to do with this amazing fabric, when it hit me...pajamas for ME! So I bought 2 pieces of one print, and a single of a second print (I have yet to decide what that will become). Before I cut into the precious Liberty fabric, I thought I'd test the pattern and the construction techniques on some cotton I picked up in Chinatown.

I'm pleased that these are a perfectly wearable trial version. I did make a small mistake with the bias on the shorts, but hopefully no one will notice. I usually attach bias from the wrong side first, then top stitch it on the right side, but due to the way the shorts are constructed, I really do have to follow the instructions in this pattern (the first seam is on the right side of the fabric, then you turn the bias to the wrong side). Despite needing nearly 7m of bias for this pattern, I think I might just make my own for the Liberty version - I can't bring myself to put scratchy store-bought bias on such lovely fabric!

Pattern: Grainline Studio Lakeside Pajamas (Digital PDF)
Fabric: Japanese cotton from Chinatown (in Singapore)
Modifications: I used 1" elastic, instead of 1 1/4" and did a line of topstitching at the top of the waistband to help keep the elastic in place

Comments

Popular Posts