Oliver + S Hopscotch T-shirt

Like so many things, sometimes the more you know, the more daunted you feel. When I was pregnant with my son, I sewed a maternity dress in a knit fabric, not having read anything about sewing with knits (I didn't even know what a ballpoint needle was for my machine!). I forged ahead, and the finished product was fine - passable and wearable as an 'around-the-house' maternity dress for the summer. I don't even know if the pattern was meant for knit fabric!

Then...then came the endless hours of reading sewing blogs, Pinterest, and the mounting fear of sewing with knits. Ah...knowledge isn't always power. So then for the last 3 years, I've felt that knits were just a bit beyond me. Give me complicated dart manipulations any day...

Two things changed in the last month. My generous parents bought me a Babylock serger (THANK YOU!) and I realised that if I was going to venture into sewing with knits, Oliver + S patterns were the place to start. Also, my daughter insisted that I buy her knit fabric with cats.

So here's what happened:


The oliver + s Hopscotch t-shirt - my very FIRST knit fabric project! I discovered that, 1) my serger is even more fantastic than I thought, 2) my Pfaff sewing machine has a great lightning stitch for knits, 3) I really need to figure out how to use the other stretch stitches on my sewing machine, but with a serger, do I really need to?, and 4) I actually LIKE sewing with knits! I didn't have a twin needle for the hem, so I just faked it and did 2 lines of straight sewing.

I immediately made another Hopscotch Dress. How cute is this pattern?!


Then I made myself a tank top, which was a frustrating experience, but more on that later.

Now I just wish I could get more nice knits in Singapore. I guess that's what online shopping is for...

Comments

Popular Posts