Dinosaurs are not just for boys - the Building Block Dress!

My daughter's friend turns 5 today! And what are some things that M likes? Dinosaurs, twirly skirts and the colour yellow. So how do you combine that?

Take 1.5m of some great dinosaur fabric (found with the assistance of M's mum), use the Building Block Dress book to create a fabulous sleeveless dress with a flared, extra 'twirly' skirt, and use leftover yellow fabric from a Badminton Dress made for M a few years ago (see...it pays to hoard small bits of fabric!), and finish with yellow buttons. Et voila...





I used the basic Building Block Dress pattern (size 4 lengthened to a size 5), and finished the neck and armholes with a bias binding. I closed the placket on the skirt, and flared the front and back to the entire width (42") of the fabric for maximum twirl factor. I intended to finish the hem with a hidden yellow facing, but forgot to use the bottom of the skirt as my guide for the facing, and cut a 2" bias instead. So, I attached the bias to the bottom hem, and made a narrow hem on the bias to finish it. In retrospect, I prefer the external finish as it gives the dress a bit of colour at the bottom. 

The birthday girl hasn't seen it yet, but hopefully it's a hit!  Update: she has seen it and loves it!

Comments

Popular Posts