Halloween 2018

Halloween has come and gone so I thought perhaps I should post some pictures of my costumes for this year!

First up - a princess. After spending most of 2018 convinced she was going to be a jaguar for Halloween, she suddenly decided in September that she'd rather be a princess. I was a little relieved...jaguar costumes in the heat of Singapore are generally not a good idea. At least a dress I could make...



Thank you Oliver + S and the Building Block Dress Book! I used the basic dress bodice but lined it, and drafted puff sleeves. The skirt was a basic gathered skirt, lengthened to a suitably princess-like length. I put snaps on the back button placket (didn't get a picture). I did intend to put elastic on the bottom of the sleeves, but A liked this look, so I added a sparkly silver velvet ribbon around the sleeves and neckline. Thanks to the lettuce hem function on my serger, I could finish the edges of the purple overlay without too much fuss (they were cut freehand, and vaguely resemble flower petals...to a 5-year old!). 

Next up...Chris Kratt from the show Wild Kratts. Both E and A are slightly obsessed with this show, which if you haven't seen it, is great and educational for anyone who loves anything to do with animals and nature. This costume was relatively straightforward - a t-shirt, shorts and a black vest!
Enter the Oliver + S School Bus t-shirt, the Oliver +S Sketchbook Shorts, and a black t-shirt from my wardrobe that I thought needed to be upcycled...


I've made several pairs of the shorts, so knew these would be fine. This was my first School Bus t-shirt, and it was a quick and easy sewing project. I used E's measurements and made a size 6, but it's actually too small in the shoulders and a tad short. I definitely need to size up for the next one. To add to the upcycling theme, the wristband was cut from the top end of a pair of socks from my husband's drawer. Of course A thought it was hilarious that her brother was wearing a sock on his wrist...And I was extra pleased with myself because the bottom 1/3 of the t-shirt turned vest became the new yoga pants for A's doll.

All in all, 2018 was a successful Halloween. They're both already talking about what to be for NEXT Halloween...sigh...

Comments

Popular Posts