Cushions (or what to do when you're bored)

Every so often I look around my house and have an overwhelming urge to change something. Maybe it's the children's toys strewn around every room, or reading too many articles about fancy houses where every room is perfect, I'm not sure. While changing furniture is a bit excessive (and we can't just keep adding more furniture), it's a lot easier to update the small things - cushions!

Given the battering and abuse that our throw pillows generally receive, I wasn't going to embark on anything fancy. I've already made a cushion for our cedar chest using silk (and made my own piping out of silk), but after that got the Crayola marker treatment, 'washable' was the key.

On a recent trip home to Canada, I found some cheery fabric in teal, brown and green and so the new colour scheme for our living room was born!

The cushion on the left was a made using the left-over scraps from the first two and probably worked out better because it's slightly smaller (so the cushion looks fatter).

I bought 0.5m of each fabric (115cm wide) and got 3 cushion covers for 40cm square cushions. Now my challenge is to find complementary fabric for more cushions - we need at least 3 more. Hopefully it's not too hard, or I might have to make a special request for more of the same to be mailed from Canada!

Comments

Popular Posts