Oliver + S badminton dress

After the recent success of the Popover Sundress, I decided to try another Oliver + S dress - this time, the Badminton Dress. You can make it as a top with skorts (in my line-up of projects do to soon!), or as a dress. This is one of the few paper patterns I own from Oliver + S, so I was quite happy to skip the steps of printing, cutting, taping and tracing before I could get to cutting the fabric!

I did modify the pattern a bit. The original pattern calls for a scalloped hem in the same fabric as the main dress, but it seemed that a contrasting hem would look better this time. I cut a bias 3 1/2" wide and had to play around a bit with the length, and thankfully it worked out. Although the neck edge and shoulder ruffle do require a bit of patience, there are no zippers or buttons to worry about, so all in all, it's a great pattern to work with.

I found this wonderful organic cotton from Cloud 9 Fabrics designed by Sarah Watson just by chance when wandering through the sale section in Sing Mui Heng. At the time I didn't have a plan for it, so I bought the 1-yard minimum and decided I'd find a use later. A friend has asked me to make her daughter a dress with the same fabric...luckily it's still on sale! And of course I couldn't resist adding a few more pieces to my stash. Who knows what they'll turn into?!

Comments

Popular Posts