oliver + s sketchbook shirt

When my parents visited in March, my mum made my son a Sketchbook Shirt from oliver + s. He wanted a black and white shirt ('like a zebra') with a pocket. Luckily for us, we found a lovely Japanese cotton lawn in black and white. He also wanted the band collar.


 The shirt fits really well - we made a size 5 - except for the length, which my mum felt was a bit short. It's fine for now, but given that my son's growing in length but not in width, if the shirt had been a bit longer, it probably would last a few more months.

On a recent fabric buying spree, I picked up a cute cream cotton with small red bicycles. I intended to make myself a skirt, but realised after I got home that the very nice saleslady had cut 1/2 a yard too little. Luckily, it was just enough for another Sketchbook shirt! After sewing so much for my daughter and her friend, I admit I felt a bit guilty that I wasn't sewing anything for my son.


I realise now that the unattractive green hanger isn't showing the shirt off well, but I am quite pleased with the results. I also managed to use only 1 1/4 yards (not the 1 1/2 yards indicated on the pattern). Some people commented on the oliver + s website that the yoke construction was a bit confusing, but I found it fine, as long as you follow the instructions and work carefully. I made this a size 5, but used the size 7 for length, and it fits better and hopefully will last a little longer! Next up - the Sketchbook Shorts!

Comments

Popular Posts