Purl Soho Summer Romper

On a recent fabric buying expedition, I picked up a yard of a very cute print in cotton from Art Gallery Fabrics (the Capped Biome pattern from the Forest Floor collection). I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but couldn't resist buying it. The pattern goes perpendicular to the grain (so the mushrooms are sideways), but I was sure I'd find something to make with it.

And sure enough, a few days later I discovered the Purl Soho free summer romper pattern! The mushroom fabric didn't come to mind immediately, but when I was going through my stash looking for something else, I saw it, and realised it had to be made into the romper.


I made a Size 2 based on the measurements provided in the instructions, but I think now I should have made a larger size. I don't think the pattern makes allowances for diapers! I also think my 2-year old has a long torso, so a size 3 would probably have lasted a few more months. 

I reduced the hem from 1" to just under 3/4". The larger hem was going right up into the crotch seam and I wanted a bit more room between the legs. The instructions say to sew the waistband casing into a loop before attaching it, and I personally don't think that works. I ended up taking the seam out, and then attaching it the same way you attach a bias. The instructions don't say to cut the waistband casing on the bias, but, in fact, if you're going to make your own bias for this romper (as I did), I'd just make more bias and use some for the inner waistband casing. 

Otherwise, it's a simple pattern that sews up quickly (if you actually get uninterrupted sewing time!), and the fabric is a dream. I'm hooked on Art Gallery Fabrics now...

Comments

Popular Posts