Sewing frustrations

I've hit a bit of a speed-bump in my sewing...sort of. I still have a LONG list of projects on my to-do board, and I'm chipping away at them when I can sneak in a seam or two between domestic responsibilities! But the last couple of things I've made for myself have left me feeling a bit frustrated. I bought some beautiful tana lawn to make myself the Seamwork Mojave dress, thinking it would be perfect for the Singapore weather. It was pretty quick to sew (as promised), but the shoulders were SO wide that it's sadly unwearable. I guess I should have made a muslin first, but didn't think it would be too bad, judging by the pattern. Apart from ripping out all the seams and trying to salvage it, I'm not sure what to do with it. My mother suggested keeping it intact and cutting out a dress for my daughter, which might just be the best use for it now.

Then I decided to make the Akita top, again from Seamwork Magazine. This promised to be really fast, since it's only 1 pattern piece! This time, I made a muslin. The neck and shoulders were still quite big on the size 6, but I thought it would work if I cut out a size 6 and used the size 2 marking for the neck. Well, it mostly worked, except the shoulders are still really wide and it keeps slipping off and exposing bra straps (not a look I like!). Maybe it's because I used a really fine cotton cheesecloth fabric which does stretch a bit, but even so, I'm not thrilled with the shoulders. This is the third item of clothing I've made from Colette/Seamwork where the shoulders were too big. Ugh...except for seriously modifying the pattern pieces, it doesn't seem as though there's much else to do...

So what do you do when you hit a sewing low? Why, go fabric shopping of course! My friend wanted me to sew her daughter a few things, so what better excuse to add to my ever-growing stash?! My daughter spotted fabric with Knuffle Bunny on it (from the books by Mo Willems), so of course I couldn't leave without a metre of that one...probably for a cushion!

M perusing the choices for her dresses...now in exchange for babysitting, I get to sew!
On a successful sewing note, I did finish the Everyday Skirt by Liesl + Co. with a fabulous Cloud 9 fabric I found. The skirt fits well and is great for the weather here. I even convinced myself that I needed more fabric for another one, this time with bicycles on it!



Comments

Popular Posts