Oliver + S Roller Skate Dress


In early October we went to Hong Kong for a long weekend and while in the Western Market, A saw this deep pink fabric with hearts on it that she REALLY NEEDED to have...PLEASE?! Of course when the shopkeeper heard this, he practically had it cut before I said yes - so much for bargaining. It wasn't particularly cheap, but it is a really nice soft cotton fabric.

I immediately thought of the Oliver + S Roller Skate Dress. It was one of the 10+ patterns I bought in the big 10th anniversary sale and I was keen to try it. Of course I then I realised I needed lining fabric, which meant I simply had to go to Chinatown, which led to the purchase of a lot of other fabric that...ahem...I didn't really need but somehow ended up in my bag. Oops...

This is such a great dress to sew - simple, straightforward, and the lining means the neck and armholes are nicely finished. I think the size 5 is a little too big on A (by her measurements she's mostly a size 4), but it seems okay.



She wore it all day on Saturday and miraculously managed to eat a Thai meal and ice cream without spilling a thing on her new dress. This is a new record.

I have some really pretty floral Japanese lawn that I think I'll use for another Roller Skate dress - this time with the contrasting neckline. Despite the lack of a twirly skirt, she really likes the feel of this dress. Another win for Oliver + S!

Comments

Popular Posts